Naturalists take you to the sheltered valley of the Chilkoot River, the ancestral fishing grounds for the Tlingit people and brown bears. In late summer the river is teaming with spawning pink salmon. Just before the sun sets, brown bear families leave the cover of the forest to forage along the grassy riverbanks. Marvel at close-up views through powerful spotting scopes, essential for safely observing wildlife.
Bald eagle sightings are guaranteed. Although bears are not guaranteed, on these evening excursions, they have been sighted frequently. Eagles and salmon are abundant.
- Bring: cameras, binoculars and layered clothing with waterproof outer layer
- Provided: spotting scopes
- Activity level: light
- Requirements: ability to enter/exit vehicle and walk short distances
- Duration: 3 hours, 6 hours from Skagway
- Price/person: $80 adults, $60 (<13 years) from Haines. Twilight Wildlife Watch 5:30pm - 8:30pm
- Price/person from Skagway: $163/adult, $108.50/child (<13 years)