Everything you thought Alaska would be is in Haines! Here you will find a perfect sampling of Alaska's history, scenic beauty, arts and culture, wildlife and lifestyle. The Chilkat Valley is renowned for it's scenery, outdoor recreation, and native and pioneer history.
- I love living in Haines, it is so beautiful – the mountains rise right up from the beach and river valleys. There are lots of fish and wildlife and plenty of interesting, friendly people. I also like the influence my Tlingit neighbors have on our culture and community values.
~ heatherlende.com, Author
Haines ~ rich in culture and abundant wildlife, the perfect balance of adventure and tranquility is found in Haines. By air, land, and sea, Haines is the starting point to all your Alaska adventures. ~ Haines Convention and Visitors Bureau
Haines shares a border with 20 million acres of protected wilderness. Alaska's Glacier Bay National Park is only a 15 minute flight away. Haines is a full service community with grocery stores, auto services, camp grounds and RV parks. The award-winning public library and several museums are must-sees. There are two boat harbors, ferry terminal, and a cruise ship dock. Accommodations are available in historic hotels, motels, hostels, and bed and breakfasts.
- It was a good value and lovely to get to a beautiful hiking area and more typical Alaska town (Haines) without a million of us tourists. Our guide was safety conscious, knowledgeable & fun. I would recommend this excursion to anyone.
Learn more about Haines at http://haines.ak.us
Getting to Haines
The following resources will help you get to Haines. Once in Haines, please refer to our Locator Map to find us.
Alaska Airlines provides service to Juneau, the closest major city to Haines.
- Alaska Airlines at (800) 252-7522
Air transportation between Haines and Juneau takes 35 minutes one-way. The following companies have daily departures.
- Wings over Alaska at (907) 766-2030, 1-800-789-9496
- Alaska SeaPlane Service at (907) 789-3331
To avoid travel delays due to inclement weather we advise visitors to back up their air travel plans between Haines and Juneau with the Alaska Marine Highway ferry. The ferry takes 4½ hours one-way. Visit their website www.FerryAlaska.com or call 1-800-642-0066 for more information.
For travelers in Skagway wishing to join one of our tours in Haines, contact Alaska Nature Tours. We can set up a 40 minute Haines-Skagway Fast Ferry cruise (May through Sept.) Note: No vehicles on this ferry.
Haines connects with the Alaska Highway in Haines Junction via the 155 mile Haines Highway. Allow 3½ hours driving time for the Haines Highway.Driving distances: Anchorage - 775 miles, Fairbanks - 660 miles, Whitehorse - 250 miles.