Revive your sense of wonder on this comprehensive bus and walking exploration of the area known for the greatest winter gathering of bald eagles on earth! This unique tour explores six spectacular wildlife habitats including ocean, estuary, river, lake, muskeg, and rain forest. Perfect for the inquisitive traveler and your best opportunity to photograph bald eagles in the wild.
Follow the route of spawning salmon, from ocean to fresh water. Frequent stops allow guides to spot even the most reclusive animals. Watch for migrating waterfowl and marine mammals along the fjord. At the estuary, see eagles soaring, diving for salmon and raising their young in nests. Marvel at wildlife through powerful spotting scopes, essential for observing our nation's symbol eye-to-eye and mountain goat families in the alpine meadows. You can actually take photos through the scopes.
Your journey continues beside the enchanting Chilkoot River, the ancestral fishing grounds of the Tlingit people, where brown bears may be seen meandering along the flowered banks. Stop along the shore of a picturesque mountain lake before walking under the old-growth trees where you'll experience the sights, sounds, scents and even tastes of the world's largest temperate rain forest.
- Bring: cameras, binoculars and layered clothing with waterproof outer layer
- Provided: spotting scopes
- Activity level: light
- Requirements: ability to enter/exit vehicle and walk short distances
- Duration: 3-4 hours, 6 hours from Skagway
- Price/person with meal: $88/adult, $68/child (<13 years)
- Price/person without meal: $75/adult, $55/child (<13 years)
- Price/person from Skagway: $163/adult, $108.50/child (<13 years), $150/adult, $95.50/child no meal